Saturday, January 10, 2009

so how do you like being a mother, then? :-)

Easier to reply here as my answer was getting longer and longer....

It's life defining..., It's like the biggest project I've ever started, and every second is thrilling.
It's challenging, in many ways. Giving people space to take a part in her life for instance isn't easy at first. You have an opinion about, well... everything that happens around her.
The first few days I had to stay in the hospital, and was surrounded by nurses and other moms, and I had little privacy to settle into my new family.
Ed was only aloud to be there at visiting hours (we broke that rule almost immediately) and even though there were lots of people there, checking if you ate well or changing your baby's diper, not much was really explained, the nurses were always busy, so I felt very lost.
They did have time however to open my curtains ever so often, so I could 'mingle', and comment on how chubby & big our little girl was....
With all the eating disorder in our world, and the gazillion people with some form of a physical complex, the last thing I want is for people to go on about the chubbiness of our new born.
However, as it happened regularly, I had to get over it, so I did.
As I had to get over a nurse arguing with a mother in our room while holding my daughter.
As I had to get over the ever famous comment: "Let her cry a little, it's good for her".
People will always have advise, and I will always listen & even give things a try, cause I don't know everything, & people mean well, but it's not always easy.
Now that she spends lots of time with family and at the creche, you have to let go, and be less of a control freak. Trust that people know what they are doing, and that if something is done different to your own ideas, that it won't cause everlasting scars, and if it does, then that's ok.
As much as I want to protect our daughter from any form of unnesseccery discomfort, she's gonna experience a few, some by my own doing, even if unintentional... and that thougth (stupid as it may sound) is tough.
Thank goodness I seldom dwell on these thoughts, most of the time I am enjoying her smile (she smiles a lot) or her new sounds (she was hocked on "huuuuuurrrrrrrrrr" for a while, but now everything starts with a 'bff' or 'pff' accompanied by lots of drooling), or the changes in her face.
The hide and seek she likes to play with one parent, while in the arms of the other, her long conversations with 'whom ever will listen' in the dark while the rest of SweetLake is sleeping.
Or the warmth I feel when I simple hold her close...
She's beautiful....

No comments: