Thursday, May 14, 2009

Over-Qualified


Yesterday I was part of a singing contest at the CKC in Sweet Lake City (where I follow singing lessons).
It's my first year and this is my first contest. So I signed up.
I want to improve my technique, so I try to sing songs by women that vocally intimidate me, like Christina, Whitney, Beyonce, Mariah.... 
So for this contest my teacher suggested I sing 'Beautiful'. Great song, but the bridge is killing. I did my best at the contest, hit some interesting off-key notes and at times sounded like a kettle with boiling hot water, but apart from the bridge, it went well, so I was pleased.
Today I got the call..... They kicked me out of the contest.
(They brought it as subtle as they could, and hoped I understood, which I did.... still do...)

See, before you start singing, they ask you how long have you had singing lessons (since September) and do you intend to go pro (well, more like continue what I'm doing, but work on my technique).

So after hearing me, they decided that as I was more or less pro already, I was out of balance with the other contestants....

Hmmm....
I didn't really enter to compete, I just wanted to challenge myself, so I don't mind not getting the chance to 'go to the finals'. It's a compliment really. I mean, I was worried that I wouldn't make the next level due to the awful notes I hit in the bridge....
So initially I was cool with it.

But now that I've had 2 glasses of Grappa, and watched 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls (feeling a lot more honest), I do find it a little shame.

I guess if you can't test your abilities at the school where you're trying to grow, (some kids had 5-6 years of singing lessons...) it seems the only option is to throw your face on tv and compete with people that are trying to be famous... A bit too grand scale for me, with way too many side effects that I'm not too keen on.

Guess I'll continue practicing in my classroom.
Just for the record, I hope to one day sing:

-'Listen' from Beyonce
-'You Put a move on my heart' from Tamia
-'One moment in time' from Whitney

So after 'Beautiful' that's what I'm going for.
If you have any suggestions for challenging songs, let me know.
I'll diligently and silently work on them in my classroom.

Kind regards,
A somewhat sad Nyjolene...

(Time for 3rd episode of Gilmore Girls.... then 'bed'... need to be on time for work tomorrow)

4 comments:

Sophie said...

maybe there are other singing contests in, say, the hague or rotterdam? surely your school will have names of other singing schools handy somewhere?
it's a shame they kicked you out for that reason, although i understand it, too. the others didn't have a chance!
i'll keep my ear open for tough songs. ;-)

Amusikb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amusikb said...

sorry......but you were over-qualified, there was no one there at your level, so you were in an unbalanced race.

"You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through."
Rosalynn Carter (1927 - )

"Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go much further than people with vastly superior talent."
Sophia Loren (1934 - )

"Whatever you are by nature, keep to it; never desert your line of talent. Be what nature intended you for and you will succeed."
Sydney Smith (1771 - 1845)

Hugs

JL said...

Whatever happened to 'May the best (wo)man win'...?

And to end with a quote about your competition:

"Swans sing before they die; 'twere no bad thing
Should certain persons die before they sing."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772 – 1834) British poet and philosopher