Monday, May 25, 2009

A week filled with music, Wednesday

So then Wednesday I get a call from a girlfriend who I haven't seen in ages, telling me there's 'The Hague Jazz' warm up in The Hague, and Frank McComb is playing.
Now, some people love Luther Vandross, some love Barry White, some love Marvin Gaye, some love Prince.... I love Frank McComb (Ok, I love Prince too, but you know what I mean...). He has written songs that have touched me to my core, in ways that gives me goose bumps time & time again. He moves me. I played his song when I lost my son. His voice is like a mix between Donny Hathaway & Stevie Wonder, and then that taken to another level...
Anyway,
The first time I ever saw him perform, in Paradiso, he was playing my favorite song, so here I am, in the audience, eyes closed, swaying to this song, and in the middle of his piano solo he says: "Yeah, you get your groove on girl." It didn't really register, certainly didn't think he was referring to me. But then he said, "Yeah, you with the glasses on..." So I look up, and he's actually looking at me!.... That night I went home a happy chick.
Then in Feb. 2007 I went to Java Jazz in Jakarta with 'Daughters of Soul', and I met him. ( I don't think he knew I was that same girl, though.... :-)
We were singing with Lalah Hathaway (daughter of Donny) as she was one of the Daughters, and they are friends, so I got to meet him. (I also got to chill in the hotel room of Chaka Khan!!!!!! at a sort of 'after party'.... looking back it seems like another life) anyway...
Me and Deidre, one of the backing vocalists, were both nuts about his voice, so we went to check out his rehearsal with the band, & later had a bite to eat with them, crazy...
That's 2 years ago. Now last year, I went to check his show in Amsterdam. After the show he came to the lobby and I bought the CD's I didn't have yet, & had him sign them, it kinda felt like the groupie stalking the celeb-thing, so I kept it short.

But now Wednesday, I'm here 'op t Plein' in the Hague, waiting for this show to start, and I'm chatting with my friends while waiting, and I look up, and Frank is there looking at me, like 'is that you?' Baffled that he'd spot me 'in a crowd' while he's on stage I couldn't help but grin, so he goes: "See! I knew it was you! How are you!" Still a little shocked I mumbled something, close to a "Great & you?" and then made myself as small as i could, as he continued with the set up.
Half way the show, he says to the audience: "What song do you want me to sing... 'Keep Pushing on?' Then he turns to me (I kid you not..) and asks, "What song do you want to hear?" Now, 'Keep Pushing On' was that favorite song, so naturally I said 'Keep Pushing On'...
Inwardly grinning the compete rest of the show.
After the show he even came to the 'front' and gave me and my girlfriend (who in a way looks like Deidre who he met in Jakarta, so I think he got them mixed up) a quick hug before running off again.

Once again I went home a happy chick.

No comments: