Monday, May 25, 2009

A week filled with music, Saturday

My booking agency is run by 2 people. One of them had a 40th Surprise Party.
There would be a cover band (Jewelste), and artists were asked to sing a song with that band if they wanted to. Naturally I wanted to, so I received a list with songs that they could play.
Scanning through it, I didn't know any of the songs very well.... except Valerie, and.... Britney Spears' first single....
Let's just say I had a 'Blink' moment. Instead of choosing Valerie, a song I've performed before, and I know well enough.... I chose Britney.
Later I called my other booking agent (who was organizing it) and checked what he thought of the choice. He had to speak in code, (she was in the office) but the message was clear... Green Light.
It seemed funny at the time...
Singing... 'Hit Me Baby One More Time...'
By Saturday I'd lost that feeling completely. However, I decided on a 'Melissa Etheridge' approach to the song. At work that day, I ran the idea by 2 of my colleagues.... I believe one instantly cracked up, but both had a strong air of disbelief that any approach could make that song even remotely ok...
So I want to the venue, still not quit believing I was really going to do this. As I had to work, I didn't get to soundcheck, so it was all going to be one big surprise.
I checked the setlist... I was half way down, so I used that time to loose my nerves in 2 glasses of gin-tonic.
The party was so much fun, that by the time it was my turn, I didn't care anymore. I mixed up the energy of Melissa with the vocals of Britney, without the nerves to stand in my way, and...
ripped it up.... :D
It was a total success!
Thank God for 'Blink'-moments!
The Birthday girl loved it, the audience loved it... and quit frankly, I loved it...
It was really cool!

I promised Ester (one of the disbelievers) that if I'd pull it off, I'd blog it. So here it is... :)
Now I'm gonna get some sleep...
(on vacation tomorrow, and I've still got lots to do)

3 comments:

JL said...

Nice one!
I hope you'll be so kind as to do a performance for us when you get back. Enjoy your holiday!

-The New Kid On The Block

Lady Grey said...

Well... I'm back, and I'm not that kind... so, no I won't ;-)

Anonymous said...

Disbeliever? Me?