Friday, November 2, 2007

Can I use that title again?


Yeah, it was yet again a perfect night out.

Now it's not that I visit concerts every night, in fact, most of the time I'm at home busy with one of my million personal projects that define my life. But this month a lot of good artists that I'm into decided to perform. And I've learned something from all acts.
Marcus Miller loves to challenge his band. They get to improvise during songs, and he'll keep coming back to you if he knows there's more to be given. It's great to see. He'll just gesture to you and you start playing, or scatting. Then he'll come with a counter riff on his bass and it's your turn again, or that of someone else. It's not really a battle, but more the thrill of discovering what is in you, together.
Then there was Frank McComb, were the band rehearsal had been the night before and very short. He still got them to relax on stage and give it everything. The communication was fantastic. So was the vibe, the were laughing and making jokes as if they'd been playing together for a lot longer than one night.
And last night I invited my dad to see Maceo with Ed & me. That was great! The crowd was far from great, and mostly just loud for no positive reason, but Maceo made me smile, laugh even and groove like crazy. Generally when people say they love you on stage, I believe it (they love their fans) but it feels different with Maceo's band. They all smile, all have that 'lets share music together' energy. With Maceo ' We Love You ' is the theme of his show. (The groove is the core, love for music is the soul). He keeps on saying it, and I feel it everytime. He doesn't love 'his fans', he loves people. Loves sharing music. It's not about his story that he needs to tell, its not a 'Him to the Audience' thing. It's a 'Listen to this Groove, can you feel it?' vibe.
Or better said: 'Got Funk?'
Hahahaha, I love that shirt. I bought it in Tilburg at his show a year ago.
This year I bribed my way into getting a short sleeved one that simply says: Maceo.
To me that name say it all.
I took pictures like crazy. It was hard to get good ones, they might be a little dark, but they reflect the vibe, and hopefully one is good enough to blow up and hang on my wall at home.
It was good!
Anytime he comes to Holland, We'll be checking out the show.
(And I'll be going home with a new shirt :D )

PS: I chose the font: Georgia....
You should've seen him with his shades on, doin' a Ray. Shoulda heard him sing it (disregarding the noise around you). Respect.

No comments: