Saturday, November 10, 2007

Running & Running & Running....


Oh my oh my...
Wednesday I had a rehearsal with a girlfriend of mine called Frankie.
I met Frankie years ago in the American Book Center.
I was at the cash register playing Jill Scott's first album & singin' along while doing my work. All of a sudden I hear this 'sista' singing along too. That's Jill Scott playing. So I looked up, saw who it was. She didn't look up or anything, just casually checking the magazines while she sang. So I went up a note and harmonized to what she was doing. That's when she looked up :D.
We had to laugh cause something like that doesn't happen often.
She asked me what I did musically, and told me a little about herself. We decided to hook up one day. So shortly after I visited her at her home. She let me hear her music and I sang a few lines of 'I'm going down' (Mary J... killer song). So she told me, she recognized my voice but didn't know from where. After guessing for a few minutes on where she could have met me, she found out I sang in the band 'Rose'. She had seen me do a gig in 'Greve' (One of my sweetest memories... I sang the Longest, most soulful version of 'Brown Skin' and made my best friend Marlies cry who was there to support me). Apparently Frankie had been there too.
Ever since she had been trying to find out who I was, and how she could get a hold of me, but she didn't get far, cause she didn't remember my name (She thought it was Desree).
And now here I was on her couch singing and chatting link we'd known each other for years. It was great.
Anyway, tomorrow afternoon we have a gig in Utrecht to sing a few gospel songs, and we rehearsed for it Wednesday. But Thursday I also had to sing in Utrecht as 'Lady Grey'. Then today, I didn't have to work (good thing) but I had to prepare for this gig in Zaandam with 'Wicked Lite' and the girls would have a rehearsal at my place before we went there.
(So I spent the whole morning sorting out CD's and tidying up the place.)
We went with public transport and while rehearsing difficult songs in the train we gained an audience that asked us to sing all kind of songs accapella till we reached our destined station.
From the train we switched to a bus, and traveled to our final destination. It really did feel like our Final Destination. It was dark all over, and we got of at this deserted stop, trying to find our way. We started out in the wrong direction, where the road just stopped at some point and we actually walked through wet grass and mud for a while. (It was very cold and raining, and I actually slipped and fell the moment I said: "Wouldn't it be terrible if I were now to slip and--- AAhhh!)
We turned back, realizing this could NEVER be the right road, and finally called Carola (from our booking agency) to come save us. It turned out we were very close.

The gig itself went fab. The set list is beyond challenging, but somehow I was able to hit (almost) every note that was needed and although I lost my voice straight after singing 'Think' (the 4th song) I still was able to put up a good show with the girls (Lots of dancing on stage and laughing).
Now I'm of to bed, cause tomorrow is the gospel act in Utrecht with Frankie.
Sunday: Back to work....

I love my life....


No comments: