Monday, November 5, 2007

'The Secret of Life' & 'The Secret Life of David Mandell'

A few days ago I had a dream. What I remember of it is very short, but when I woke I decided to put the dream to use by building a story around it. I started writing in my breaks at work, but I couldn't grasp the essence of the story. Not only that, but in the back of my head I kept thinking of all the stories I'd started and never finished. I had about 6 synopsis' on my computer and so I tried linking this story to an older one. That didn't go smoothly either and I was still only writing about 5 lines an hour, trying to 'feel' where it needed to go.
Then due to a conversation I had with two friends of mine (Bart and Sophie) last night, another old story came to mind. I hadn't thought of it before, cause I didn't think my dream would make a very deep or heavy story, and the story that came back to me last night I consider my masterpiece in the making. Beliefs, reality and fiction are so interlinked in it, that I never dared write it for fear of misinterpretation. Now I feel I can handle that possibility. Also, I'd thought & spoken about it for years with a few friends, but it never had enough substance to really begin. Now it does. I was up all night thinking up the clue, the beginning, what beliefs to consider and which to discard, becoming reacquainted with the characters, and thinking up new ones... It was great. I'm tired now, but it was worth it.
It's not for nothing the work title of both books are so similar. They needed to be combined.
So I guess it's time to write my masterpiece... :D
I'll speak to you in about 4 years when it's done :D

No comments: