Thursday, November 1, 2007

A perfect night out.

I went to see Frank McComb in Amsterdam yesterday.
He gave a show in the werktheater.
I'd raced from work to the location, calling to let them know I was running late.
They asked me t call again when I was at the door, as the door bell was very loud and they didn't want to disturb the show. So when I arrived I called and they let me in, but the cash register had already been closed. So as a result, I got a free ticket!
Not only that, but he had just started, so I hadn't missed a thing.
That set the mood. I knew it was gonna be a good evening.

When I walked in it turned out to be more of a theatre room than a dance-club-kinda venue.
Thinking of that now, I should remember to check out that place if ever I do my own show.
They had rows of wooden chairs and everyone was sitting. Here and there a few people stood due to lack of space. I happily joined the people standing, choosing an angle that gave me a good view, but didn't disturb the show, and went straight for my camera.
I know the guy on bass, as he plays in the band 'Rose' with me. I was so proud seeing him on stage. He was really doing a good job. I'd never heard him play like that. The rest of that band was great too. And needless to say, so was Frank.
I made a few pictures, after checking with the same sweet lady if making pictures was OK, and then just danced the whole show threw.
Frank had planted a little break in the middle of the show, and in that break I walked over to Glen (the guy on bass) to tell him how great he was doing, when I feel someone tickle my neck.
I turn round and Joanne is grinning from ear to ear. I think I squealed, and then gave her a big hug.
Joanne and I did our first 2 Blues Brother tours together. Everyone that was a part of that tour is connected for life, no matter how rarely you see each other. I couldn't believe my luck. It had been years. So we chatted a little, and then I excused myself, cause I wanted to TCB as quickly as possible and get back to my comfortable spot before the show would start again.
While looking extremely lost, searching for the ladies room, I hear someone call out: " Oh no Nyjolene, you are not passing me by like that..." I turn round to see my Jamaican angel Leonna grinning (yes from ear to ear). I'm guessing my grin was as big. We hugged and chatted a little, but only after that show got the chance to really talk.
Leonna and I did the last Blues Brother tour together, where she sang the parts that Joanne had done in the previous tours.
It was this big get together how have you been night.
I saw a guy who used to play the keys in a gospel choir I was a part of a few years ago.
I saw my ex-singing teacher, who I'd been trying to contact for weeks.
Everything felt so good!
I bought the last 3 CD's of Franks collection that I didn't have yet. Had him sign them. Had the longest talk with Leonna, deepening the friendship we have. Then she dropped me of at Amsterdam Central on her bike. We made plans for a concert she wanted us to check out together. Beth Heart. I don't know her, but Leonna says she's really good.
My train was ready to go when I got in, the taxi in the Hague aloud me to pay a little less for the ride home as it was his last shift, and I was 2 euro's short of the normal fee, and when I came home I must have hugged Ed for hours telling him all about the evening, before letting him go back to bed. (2 am?)
In short, I had a perfect night out.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

sounds fab! and beth hart is fantastic. i saw her in paard in den haag. that woman can sing like janis joplin, she has that kind of raw intensity. her ballads especially are spine-tingling, the rock numbers are good but american, if you can get my drift. i hope you'll like her!

Lady Grey said...

Hmmm, I'm really curious now. Think I'll ask Ed to check some songs on the net, he's much better at that than I am.